Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Celebrating Advent ~ This Year's Jesse Tree


"There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots.  And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord."  ~ Isaiah 11:1-2



~ Thank you, God, for our family.  Help us as a family this Advent season to prepare to celebrate Jesus' birthday at Christmas.  As we think about his family tree, may we grow to love him more and more and to love our own family more. ~  
(prayer taken from Jesse Tree Devotions, by Marilyn Breckenridge)



General was a baby when I made my family's first Jesse Tree.
I can still remember picking out the fabric and wondering exactly how to put it together . . . I didn't have a pattern, and ~ amazing as it is to think of it! ~ those were still the days before the internet had become what it is today.

Borrowing some instructions from an old quilt pattern, I sewed my little family a little Jesse Tree banner ~ very similar to what I remembered of my Mom's tree, from my childhood.
It brought many warm memories to my children over many Advent seasons!
But after last Christmas, I knew the time had come to retire our old friend. . .
We had too many sore little fingers (from trying to pin our ornaments through the many layers of fabric). . . and I had made it too small for the number (and size) of ornaments we would have.


Inspired by this wonderful Jesse Tree tutorial over at Shower of Roses ~ and especially by Jessica's idea to add jingle bells for hanging the ornaments! ~ Rose & I headed over to the fabric store for some Mama-Daughter time.  Together we picked out new patterns and colors . . . purple for Advent, and a soft snowy green for the tree.


With a little finesse, we were able to punch holes in the ornaments using a regular paper hole-puncher and a sharp pair of scissors.  A little bit of yarn made some cute ties.... and our new Jesse Tree was ready for the season!  

We made this current set of ornaments last year . . . and I figured they would last through at least a few seasons.  But (to my surprise!) General and Rose both asked if we could make another set this year.  I suppose I'll just have to add this into my list of Advent activities for our Countdown Tree ;)  (Of which I'm hoping to post some pictures & our list very soon!)




"The Advent season provides an invaluable opportunity for mothers to teach our children about the true meaning of Christmas.  And it provides the opportunity for us to concentrate on our spiritual lives and make certain that our hearts are ready to receive the Savior.  Our celebration of Christmas will only be as good as our celebration of Advent.  If you observe this season in your home and save Christmas until Christmas, that holiday will be all the more joyfully experienced."
(from Advent and Christmas for the Christian Family, by Teresa Zepeda)


For more lovely Jesse Tree ideas . . . or to make a quick Tree of your own {a printable version!} . . . stop over & visit Jessica at Shower of Roses, where I'll be linking up today. :)  

Blessings!
~Collette

1 comment:

  1. Loving the joy of your kids' faces! Your tree turned out terrific - and the jingle bell idea is ingenious. Hope you all are enjoying good health and the wonder of His Love this season :>)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...